1. Mr Dursley saw a (пророческий) news report about the owls.
2. Dudley Dursley was no longer a baby, and now the photographs showed a large, blond boy on a (карусель) at the fair.
3. Dudley’s favourite (груша для битья) was Harry.
4. Once, Aunt Petunia, took a pair of kitchen scissors and cut Harry’s hair so short he was almost bald except for his (челка), which she left ‘to hide that horrible scar’.
5. Dudley and Piers were starting to (заскучали, надоело) with the animals by lunch-time.
6. The snake raised its head until its eyes were on a level with Harry’s and (подмигнула).
7. The glass front of the boa constrictor’s tank (исчезло).
8. The zoo director himself made Aunt Petunia a cup of strong sweet tea while he (извинялся) over and over again.
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ON CHAPTER TWO
1. How many years have passed since Harry was left with the Dursleys?
2. How old is Harry in the story?
3. Where and with whom does he live?
4. What holiday does the action take place on? What day of week?
5. Where do the family go on Dudley’s birthday?
6. Why didn’t they want to take Harry with them? What strange things happened to Harry before?
7. How many presents did Dudley get on his birthday? Was he pleased with it?
8. What animals did they see at the zoo?
9. What happened with the snake and Harry? Did the snake understand what Harry said?
10. What was Dudley’s and Aunt and Uncle’s reaction to this strange fact?
11. Why didn’t Harry have friends?
12. Why was it forbidden to ask questions about his parents?
13. What did the Dursleys tell Harry about his parents?
14. Do you think Harry wanted to know more about his parents?
15. Do you feel sorry that Harry has such miserable childhood?
16. If you were Dudley, would you become friends with Harry?
17. If you were Harry, would you fight with Dudley, would you run away from home?
Vocabulary & Phrases
1. What is a ‘tantrum’?
2. What is meant by ‘wolfing down his bacon’?
3. Why does the snake say ‘Thanksss, amigo.’?
4. What is meant by ‘too good to last’?
In this chapter we meet Harry and start to see what his life is like.
1. What is your impression of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia as parents?
2. How would you describe Dudley and Harry?
3. It sounds like Harry has had an incredibly difficult childhood, how do you think he has managed to get through it?
4. What do you think about the information the Dursleys have given to Harry about his parents? Why do you think they lied?
5. Do you have any sympathy for the Dursleys?
6. Why do you think the glass from the snake enclosure disappears?
Why do you think the Dursleys treat Harry the way they do?
Why do the Dursleys punish Harry for all the strange things that happen?
What do the strange things happening around Harry reveal about his character? What does he think about it?
Why can a snake talk to Harry?
Why would strangers on the street seem to recognize Harry?
Why does Harry dream about a flying motorbike? Why would this make Uncle Vernon angry?
What are your favourite parts of the chapter?
What are some themes that from this chapter that you think will be important in the story?
FILL IN THE GAPS
1. The living-room was the same as it had been on the night when Mr Dursley had seen that ____________ news report about the owls.
2. Dudley’s favourite __________ was Harry, but he couldn’t often catch him.
3. The Dursleys told Harry that his parents had died in the car _______.
4. Once, Aunt Petunia, had taken a pair of kitchen scissors and cut Harry’s hair so short he was almost bald except for his ________, which hided his scar.
5. Uncle Vernon liked to __________ about things.
6. It was a very sunny Saturday and the zoo was __________ with families.
7. Behind the glass, all sorts of lizards and snakes were _____________ over bits of wood and stone.
8. The glass front of the boa constrictor’s tank had ____________.
9. The ___________ thing was that all these people seemed to vanish the second Harry tried to get a closer look.