1. If the amount of energy at the end of a food chain did not depend on the length of the chain each plant would provide a large amount of energy.
2. The mankind will not be able to save the planet for the future generations unless it follows the simple rules of sustainable development.
3. If there were no atmosphere, there would be no clouds, no rain.
4. Provided you protect our environment, save rainforests and ozone layer; prevent global warming and stop polluting air and water your descendants will be grateful to you.
5. If there had been oxygen in the atmosphere when life began, the sun radiation would not have prevented life from developing on land.
B Rewrite the statements making full second conditional sentences started with If….
1. Without the Sun there would be no light, no heat, no energy of any kind.
2. Without decomposers chemical substances would not be able to return to the physical environment.
3. Without respiration of all living things carbon dioxide would not be returned to the air.
4. Without ecosystems changes all plants and animals would not be able to adapt to changes in the physical environment.
5. Having no support from people pandas would become extinct
C Choose the correct preposition
1. Interrelations ……….. man and the biosphere are ….. a fairly complex nature.
2. We have a moral duty to look …. out planet and hand it …..in good order to future generation.
3. By burning forests, draining wet lands, polluting water, courses and over fishing mankind is rapidly driving many species ….. extinction.
4. Technology powerfully amplifies the effects …. human beings ……. the biosphere.
5. Apart ….. the amplification of such natural processes … the biosphere, technology has introduced …. the biosphere substances wholly new to it: man-made radio-isotopes and a wide variety … synthetic materials such as plastics, insecticides, herbicides and numerous industrial materials.
D Put the words in the correct order to make sentences.
1. ecosystem a number organisms physical of an their consists and environment of living.
2. are major in an there 6 components ecosystem.
3. two of main in are chains and evolution food processes the ecosystems.
4. an exists a of ecosystem equilibrium state in.
5. the of an ecosystem caused by factors evolution is various.
A Find suffixes and prefixes in the following words. In the dictionary for each word find another two words with the same suffixes or prefixes. Try and mind the ecological theme.
interrelated, decomposer, , inorganic, development, evolution, physical, impossible, unreasonable, replace.
B Match the words with their definitions.
|1.ecosystem||a. characteristic of or pertaining to living organisms; of or pertaining to the organs of an animal or plant|
|2.decomposer||b. a complex of living organisms, their physical environment, and all their interrelationships in a particular unit of space.|
|3.compound||c. an organism requiring complex organic compounds for food which it obtains by preying on other organisms or by eating particles of organic matter|
|4.consumer||d. any of various organisms that return constituents of organic substances to ecological cycles by feeding on and breaking down dead protoplasm|
|5.organic||e. a substance formed from two or more elements chemically united in fixed proportions.|
C Match the synonyms.