1. Look for the information about Peter the Great, the War of 1812, Michael Kutuzov, Yuri Gagarin, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.
Think how the Russian soul can be reflected.
1. Transcribe and translate the following words: therefore, outstanding, wharf, cosmonautics, aeronautics, command, cloisters, abode, gigantic.
2. Define the following notions: the talk of the town, through space and time, to open the bread wharf, to witness something, to take command over something, well-preserved, a hermit.
3. Look for the synonyms to the following: antique, to come across, distinguished, nevertheless, image, originator, to explore, problem.
4. Circle the error. If you find no error, circle choice E.
4.1. This year’s fall in profits was not unexpected.
A B C
Therefore it was very disappointing .
4.2. You’ll never guess who I have encountered today –
A B C
my old teacher! We haven’t encountered for years! .
4.3. Dennis’ nephew is getting to knowhow to drive very
A B C
4.4. Usually he has the occasional cigarette, but most he
A B C
smokes a pipe .
4.5. The rich man found a school and a hospital in the
A B C
town where he was born .
4.6. The lounge is rather small. It’s comfortable,
A B C
4.7. Downing Street 10 is the official abode of the British
A B C
5. Comment on the underlined grammar phenomena.
5.1. Who knows may be you will be lucky enough to solve the riddle of the surprising Russian character after visiting ancient Russian towns- the reflections of the Russian soul.
5.2. Up to nowadventurers from all over the world are still searching for Napoleon’s army treasure sunk in the lake of the Semlevo village.
5.3. Not far from Gjatsk the great Russian commander Michael Kutuzov took command over the Russian army in 1812.
5.4. Tikhon was a hermit and lived in the hollow of the gigantic oak,atewild grass and fruits, drank water from the well dug by himself.
III. Reading – comprehension questions.
Make up 2 general, 2 alternative, 2 disjunctive and 4 special questions.
1. Expand on the topic: Why is Master Rallye thought to be the best way to understand the mysterious Russian soul?
2.You are a guide to foreign tourists who want to explore the mysterious Russian character travelling across this country. Make up your speech in writing and orally.
Almost all of ancient Russian towns have given Russia outstanding Russian scientists and artists, true sons of their motherland. Who knows may be you will be lucky enough to solve the riddle of the surprising Russian character after visiting ancient Russian towns – the reflections of the Russian soul.
Every town on the way of “ Master Rallye ” is proud of its sons. Town Gjatsk is the motherland of Yuri Gagarin, the first man to fly to space. Gjatsk was founded by order of Peter the Great to open the bread wharf of Gjatsk. In Kaluga Konstantin Tsiolkovsky – the founder of the modern theory of cosmonautics and aeronautics – was born and spent most of his life.
Almost every place is closely connected with the War of the 1812, when this region witnessed many bloody battles between the Russians and the French. Up to now adventurers from all over the world are still searching for Napoleon’s army treasure sunk in the lake of the Semlevo village. Not far from Gjatsk the great Russian commander Michael Kutuzov took command over the Russian army in 1812.
There are a lot of well-preserved of ancient cloisters and churches in this area. However the most famous and beautiful of them is the one founded in the 15th century by St. Tikhon Kalujsky in the place of his abode. Tikhon was a hermit and lived in the hollow of a gigantic oak, ate wild grass and fruits, drank water from the well, dug by himself.