1. Moscow became the capital of the new united state in the 16th century.
2. Moscow was the host of the 22nd Olympic Games in 1980.
3. There are a lot of theatres in Moscow.
4. Leningradsky Prospect runs for 15 kilometres.
5. In two years my brother will graduate from the University.
V. Прочтите и устно переведите на русский язык с 1-го по 6-й абзацы текста. Перепишите и письменно переведите 2,3,5 и 6 абзацы.
Пояснения к тексту:
to be worth seeing – стоит посмотреть
the Bell Tower of Ivan the Great – колокольня Ивана Великого
the Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed – собор Василия Блаженного
the Kazan Kingdom – Казанской ханство
the Spassky Tower - Спасская башня
1. Moscow is the capital of Russia, its political, economic, commercial and cultural centre. It was founded 8 centuries ago by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. Historians have accepted the year of 1147 as the start of Moscow's history. Gradually the city became more and more powerful. In the 13th century Moscow was the centre of the struggle of Russian lands for the liberation from the tartar yoke. In the 16th century under Ivan the Terrible Moscow became the capital of the new united state. Though Peter the Great moved the capital to St.Petersburg in 1712, Moscow remained the heart of Russia. That is why it became the main target of Napoleon's attack. Three-quarters of the city was destroyed by fire during Napoleon's occupation, but by the mid- 19th century Moscow had been completely restored. After the October revolution Moscow became the capital again.
2. Now Moscow is one of the largest cities in Europe. Its total area is about nine hundred square kilometres (ancient Moscow occupied the territory of the present-day Kremlin). The population of the city is about 9 million.The heart of Moscow is Red Square, the central and the most beautiful square in Moscow. Here one can see the Cathedral of St.Basil the Blessed, or St.Basil's cathedral, erected by architects Postnik and Barma to commemorate Russia's conquest of the Kazan kingdom in 1552. It is a masterpiece of Russian architecture. Tourists can see the monument to Minin and Pozharsky. In was designed by Ivan Martos in 1818 in memory of the Russian victory over the Polish invaders in 1612. The History Museum in Red Square is a magnificent building, besides, it is one of the major scientific and educational institutions where we can follow the life of Russian people since ancient times.
3. But first of all everybody knows Red Square because Kremlin is situated there. Kremlin is the oldest historical and architectural centre of Moscow. Its three magnificent cathedrals, the Bell Tower of Ivan the Great, palaces and Spassky Tower with the clock attract the tourists' attention. The Tzar-canon and the Tzar-bell, the biggest cannon and bell in the world, are also in Kremlin.There are other beautiful palaces, old mansions, cathedrals, churches and monuments in Moscow.
4. Moscow is also famous for its museums. At the Tretyakov Gallery paintings by great Russian artists are collected, and at the Museum of Fine Arts there are masterpieces by European painters.There are a lot of theatres in Moscow. The best-known of them is the Bolshoi Opera House, but drama theatres and studios are popular too.
5. Moscow has the oldest Russian university founded in 1755 by Lomonosov. Its new building was opened in 1953. It is 32 storeys high. An underground railway opened in 1935 is being constantly extended. Now it has 200 stations and is almost 340 kilometres long. It is one of the tourist attractions of the Russian capital.
6.The number of new streets increases every month. The longest of them is Leningradsky Prospect, it runs for 15 kilometres. Moscow is the seat of the Russian Parliament (the Duma) and the centre of political life of the country.
VI. Прочтите 1-ый абзац и вопрос к нему. Из приведенных вариантов ответа укажите номер предложения, содержащего правильный ответ на поставленный вопрос.
When was the biggest part of Moscow destroyed by fire?
1. Theree-quarters of the city was destroyed by fire during Napoleon’s occupation.
2. The biggest part of Moscow was destroyed by fire during the tartar yoke.
3. After the October revolution Moscow was destroyed by fire.
VII. Прочтите 4-ый абзац текста. Закончите данное предложение, выбрав соответствующий вариант.
Tretyakov Gallery is fomous for…
1. … masterpieces of European painters.
2. … paintings of great Russian and European artists.
3. … painting of great Russian artists.
I. Перепишите следующие предложения. Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой частью речи являются слова, оформленные окончанием -s и какую функцию это окончание выполняет, т.е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3-го лица единственного числа глагола в Present Indefinite;
б) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного;