1. What span length is a record for single tower cable-stayed structures in Russia?
2. What technological advance is associated with the Surgut Bridge construction?
3. Why is the road bridge over the Irtysh River a unique structure in the city of Khanty-Mansyisk?
4. How does the new cable-stayed road bridge in St Petersburg differ from the rest bridges over the Neva River?
5. Why does the Zhivopisny Bridge prove to be an engineering achievement and a tourist attraction simultaneously?
6. Which of the two spans (the cable-stayed bridge in Vladivostok or the Akashi Kaikyo suspension structure in Japan) is longer?
7. Why has the Baikal-Amur Trunk Line greatly influenced tunnel engineering?
8. Why are the tunnel builders so proud of the Northern Muja Tunnel?
9. What challengers did they face while tunneling?
10. What newly developed construction methods did they use?
Consult the Word list while reading the text
|1. Cape intersecting tunnel||мысовый тоннель|
|2. Chemical grouting||химическое закрепление грунта|
|3. Dewatering well||водопонижающая скважина|
|4. Extraction of ground waters||откачка грунтовых вод|
|5. Self-climbing formwork||самодвижущаяся опалубка|
25.7 Follow your imagination. It is the end of the XXI century. Expressways and R&M ES need reconstruction to carry high-speed traffic. Discuss with your partner all the challenges and what you would begin with. Decide what your priorities are. When you have decided, discuss your choice with the class
HOW MUCH PROGRESS DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE MADE STUDYING THIS EDUCATIONAL BOOK? A LOT? VERY LITTLE? AN AVERAGE AMOUNT?