Exercise 1. Fill in the blanks with the articles if necessary. § 1.5.
1. … Moscow is situated on … Moskva River. There is … canal called … Moscow-Volga Canal which joins … Moscow to … Volga. … Volga runs into … Caspian Sea.
2. Several rivers run into … sea at … New York. The most important is … Hudson River which flows into … Atlantic Ocean.
3. … Altai Mountains are higher than … Urals.
4. … Neva flows into … Gulf of … Finland.
5. … Kazbek is the highest peat of … Caucasus.
6. … Shetland Isles are situated to … north of … Great Britain.
7. … Black Sea is in … south of the country.
8. … Lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world.
9. … Europe and … America are separated from each other by … Atlantic Ocean.
*Exercise 2. Read these sentences carefully. Some are correct, but some are not. Correct the sentences where necessary. § 1.5.
Model: Milan is in north of Italy – Wrong
Milan is in the north of Italy – Right.
1. Last year we visited Canada and United States.
2. South of England is warmer than north.
3. We went to Spain for our holidays and swam in Mediterranean.
4. Tom has visited most countries in Western Europe.
5. My friend worked as a reporter in Middle East.
6. Next year we are going skiing in Swiss Alps.
7. Malta has been a republic since 1974.
8. Nile is the longest river in Africa.
9. United Kingdom consists of Britain and Northern Ireland.
*Exercise 3. Give the correct form of the adjectives in brackets. § 2.1.
1. Which is (large): the United States or Canada?
2. What is the name of the (big) part in the United States?
3. The London underground is the (old) in the world.
4. There is a (great) number of cars and buses in the streets of Moscow than in any other city of Russia.
5. The rivers in America are much (long) than those in England.
6. What is the name of the (high) mountain in Asia?
7. The English Channel is (wide) than the Straits of Gibraltar.
8. She speaks Italian (good) than English.
9. My sister speaks English (bad) than I do.
Exercise 4. Read and translate these sentences. § 2.2.
1. This book is as good as that one.
This book is not as (so) good as that one.
2. Mary has as many books as Peter (has).
Mary hasn’t so many books as Peter (has).
3. Nick speaks French as well as John (does).
Nick doesn’t speak French (so) as well as John (does).
4. He can run as fast as his father (can).
He cannot run as fast as his father (can).
Exercise 5. Read and translate these sentences. § 2.2.
1. The warmer the weather, the better I feel.
2. The earlier we leave, the sooner we will arrive.
3. The more expensive the hotel, the better the service.
4. The more you have, the more you want.
5. The more goods you sell, the more profit you’ll make.
6. The more I got to know him the more I liked him.
*Exercise 6. Translate into English.
1. Крым – одно из самых лучших мест для отдыха.
2. Какая из этих рек самая длинная?
3. Дунай короче Волги.
4. Озеро Лoмонд самое красивое в Шотландии.
5. Самое жаркое место на земле – Dallos, Ethiopia.
6. Самая известная улица в Нью-Йорке – Бродвей.
**Exercise 7. Find the mistakes and correct the sentences. § 2.
1. I’m busier than my little sister.
2. London is more old than New York.
3. Do you know the shortest way to the station?
4. Be activer at your lesson, please.
5. She is the most pretty girl I’ve ever known.
6. The boy is as taller as his father.
7. Baseball is the popularest summer sport in America.
8. Yesterday he started to feel more bad.
9. Soon it began to get more darker and it was time to go back home.
10. Mary’s answer is correcter than yours.
11. Can you come more early next time?