The health service in Russia embraces the entire population and it is financed by the state budget.
There is a wide network of medical institutions to protect the health of our people. They are polyclinics, hospitals and clinics. Polyclinics give qualified medical assistance. Many doctors and nurses work in the polyclinics. There are a lot of consulting rooms, some laboratories, X-ray, physiotherapy, surgical and dental departments. District therapeutists examine out-patients. The polyclinic has rooms for the examination of infectious diseases and also rooms for treatment and diagnostics. In Russia district doctors are on call part of their working day, they visit patients who are seriously ill and stay at home.
Any Russian citizen may go to the district doctor or call him in and receive medical assistance. Every citizen has a right to get a sick-leave.
Health service in Russia provides the emergency service. The emergency ambulance service operates day and night and it is free of charge. In case of an emergent disease one dial 03 for the doctor to come. The ambulances are well-equipped. Modern medical equipment enables the doctor to give emergency surgical and therapeutic treatment.
There are special hospitals for the treatment of particular diseases – infectious, psychiatric diseases, cancer and so on.
The main principle of health service in Russia is the prevention of diseases. One of the main tasks in the fight against diseases is the early detection of the first signs of the diseases. One of its methods is health education.
Match the words in the columns
||-operates day and night -embraces the entire population -examine out-patients -provides the emergency service -protect the health of the people -visit ill patients at home -receive medical assistance|
Answer the questions
1. Who works in the polyclinics?
2. What rooms does the polyclinic have?
3. What is the main principle of health service in Russia?
4. What does modern medical equipment enable the doctors to do?
Continue the sentences
- Polyclinics give …
- Any Russian citizen may …
- Every citizen has a right to …
- One of the main tasks in fighting against diseases is …
TOPIC 46. THE NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE IN GREAT BRITAIN
A health care system is the organization of people, institutions, and resources to provide health care services to give people medical assistance. There is a wide variety of health care systems around the world. This topic will tell you about the health care system in the UK.
1.Review the given words
prescription / treatment / cold / cough / surgery / care / emergence ambulance / fall ill / a case of illness / accident / staff
2.Match the words together. Translate the word combinations
|1. divide into 2. provide 3. remain 4. use 5. visit 6. give 7. prescribe 8. offer||§ free § services § sectors § a doctor § a course of treatment § health care § the NHS § advice|
3.Study the new words
1. private – частный
2. set up – основывать, учреждать, создавать
3. regardless of – независимо от, не принимая во внимание, невзирая на
4. available – доступный, имеющийся в наличии
5. charge – цена, плата (за услуги)
6. employ – нанимать, предоставлять работу, держать на службе
7. general practitioner (GP) – терапевт
8. arrange – договариваться, организовывать, устроить
9. facilities – возможности, благоприятные условия
10. improve – улучшать
11. extend – расширять
12. taxes – налоги, сборы, пошлины
4.Say into English
1. частная школа / больница / собственность
2. основывать компанию / дело; сформировать правительство; создать лабораторию
3. независимо от состояния; невзирая на ошибки; не принимая во внимание будущее
4. земельный налог; местные сборы; собирать (взимать) налоги; платить налоги
5. делать что-то доступным; доступные средства; имеющиеся в наличии лекарства
6. за маленькую плату; цены на газ; плата за вход
7. фабрика держит на службе 2000 человек
8. договориться о встрече; договориться о времени и дате
9. благоприятные условия для лечения / занятий / исследования
10. расширять здание школы / больницы; расширять аэропорт / ж.д. вокзал
11. улучшать английский / благосостояние; улучшаться с возрастом,
5.Find the sentences with the new words in the text and translate them into Russian
British National Health Service
The British National Healthcare System is divided into state and private (independent) sectors. The state sector is represented by the National Health Service (NHS) and financed by the state from taxes. The NHS is one of the best health care systems in the world. The NHSwas set up in 1948 to provide good health care available to all, regardless of wealth.
Except charges for some prescriptions, optical and dental services, the NHS remains free for anyone who is resident in the UK. That is more than 60m people. It covers everything from routine treatments for coughs and colds to open heart surgery, accident and emergency treatment and end-of-life care.
The NHS employs more than 1.7m people. Of those, just under half are clinically qualified, including 120,000 hospital doctors, 40,000 general practitioners (GPs), 400,000 nurses and 25,000 ambulance staff. The number of patients using the NHS is huge. On average, it deals with 1m patients every 36 hours.
When a person falls ill he first visits his GP. GPs make the first diagnosis in the case of illness, give advice and may prescribe a suitable course of treatment or arrange for the patient to see a specialist. The specialist decides whether the patient needs hospital treatment and if he does whether he should be treated at the local hospital or at a specialized hospital.
District general hospitals offer a broad range of clinical services. Treatment is provided for in-patients and out-patients. There are also special hospitals. These hospitals combine special treatment facilities with the training of medical students. Many of the hospitals in the NHS were built in the 19th century. Much has been done to improve and extend existing hospital building and many new hospitals have been opened.
NHS emergence ambulances are available free for cases of sudden illness, for accidents and for doctors’ urgent calls.