1. Selecting the best database management system begins by analyzing database needs and characteristics.
2. The database size doesn’t depend on the number of records or files in the database.
3. The number of simultaneous users that can access the contents of the database is also an unimportant factor.
4. Most database management systems can handle relatively large databases of more than 100 million bytes.
5. A highly scalable database management system is desirable to provide flexibility.
Find the words with an opposite meaning in the text.
|a) rigidity; b) unwanted; c) exclude; d) to reduce; e) minor, unimportant; f) disintegrate; g) seller|
Fill in the correct words from the active vocabulary.
1. The number of simultaneous users that can … the contents of the database is also an important factor.
2. Many companies later are forced to … to a new DBMS when the original does not meet expectations.
3. Clearly, a database that is meant to be used in a large workgroup must be able to support a number of … users.
4. The size determines the overall storage … for the database.
5. Unfortunately, many companies make a poor DBMS choice in this regard and then later are forced to convert to a new DBMS when the original … .
6. The term … is sometimes used to describe how well a database performs.
7. Read the sentences translating the Russian fragment into English:
1. A highly scalable database management system is desirable, (чтобы обеспечить гибкость).
2. Important characteristics of databases include the size of the database, number of concurrent users, performance, (возможность СУБД объединяться с другими системами).
3. (Термин масштабируемость) is sometimes used to describe how well a database performs.
4. (Информационные потребности организации) affect what type of data is collected and what type of database management system is used.
5. Clearly, a database that is meant to be used in a large workgroup must be able to (поддерживать большое количество пользователей).
6. Most database management systems (могут управлять) relatively small databases of less than 100 million bytes.
Answer the questions.
1. What do the information needs of the organization affect?
2. Which databases can most database management systems handle?
3. What is desirable to provide flexibility?
4. What does the size of database determine?
5. Can you enumerate the most important characteristics of databases?