1. Has the London Underground been used since 1860?
2. Does the London Underground carry over 2,5 million passengers a day?
3. Do all Metro trains go under the ground?
4. Are all stations equipped with escalators?
5. Was safety always one of the main concerns of London transport?
6. Can any accident happen through human error in the London Underground?
7. Is the number of passengers carried by the Underground constantly growing?
8. Do express trains stop at all the stations on their way?
9. Are there twelve Underground lines in London?
10. Have all underground lines their own color?
I. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на видовременные формы сказуемых. Задайте общие вопросы и специальные вопросы к подчёркнутым словам.
1. Our train will depart at 10 a.m. (When?) 2. The automatic driver was first tested on the Moscow Underground. (Where?) 3. We have many various electric devices in our houses. (Who?; What devices?) 4. The crew of the plane consists of four people. (How many?) 5. We were informed of our train delay. (Who?; What?) 6. Our automobile is equipped with radio communication and audio signaling. (What devices?) 7. He bought the plane tickets at the travel agency. (Where?) 8. Each compartment has upper and lower berths. (What?) 9. The length of the Great Trans-Siberian Railway is 8.000 km. (How many?) 10. Nowadays all rails are made of steel. (What?) 11. For many years engineers tried to find a new material for making sleepers. (How long?) 12. The main advantage of the steel sleeper is its durability and reliability. (What?) 13. The underground railways became very popular thanks to their cleanliness and higher speeds. (Why?) 14. The railways play decisive role in the transportation of freight. (What?) 15. The traffic is not very heavy in the early mornings. (When?) 16. This mechanism activates the emergency brake. (What?) 17. Electrical equipment will be produced in France. (Where?) 18. They learnt about the accident from the newspaper. (What?) 19. The driver told his passengers to fasten their safety belts. (What?) 20. At the large railway stations porters use electric baggage trucks. (Who?; What?). 21. Several passers-by stopped to look at the strange bicycle out of curiosity. (Why?).