1. When did the early Russian State come into being?
2. When did the first settlements appear?
3. Did Russia develop like the rest European countries of that time?
4. When did the Golden Horde invade most of Russia?
5. Who was first tsar of Russia?
6. When was the Tatar yoke thrown off?
7. What changes took place in Russia in the 18th century?
8. How did Peter I reform education in Russia?
9. Why was Moscow made the capital after the October Revolution?
15. Complete the following sentences:
1. Russia’s history (относится к) the year 862.
2. During the 10th century Svyatoslav, (великий князь) of Kiev, began to (объединять) the land of Russia.
3. Just as in Western Europe the early Russian state began to (распадаться на отдельные княжества).
4. After the (монгольского нашествия) such principality as Novgorod (продолжал процветать).
5. Peter I (осуществил) a number (административных и военных реформ).
6. (Создание постоянной армии по западному образцу) was one of the legacies of the tsar.
7. Peter the Great (переместил столицу) to the newly built St. Petersburg which had been constructed as a European city (с участием многих знаменитых архитекторов).
8. Peter didn’t like Moscow because of the so-called (старых порядков и старого образа жизни).
9. After the Revolution t. Petersburg was moved back to Moscow because it was (слишком близко) to Finland and (мог быть легко завоеван).
Find in the text and read information about.
a. the foundation of the Early Russian State.
b. Russia’s development during Feudalism.
c. Tatar’s invasion.
d. The 18th century as a period of great reforms.
e. The new Russian Empire in the reign of Peter I.
f. Peter’s newly built capital of Russia.
Give the short summery of the text.
THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION STATE SYSTEM
Practice the pronunciation of the following words and word combinations.
The Russian Federation, Parliament, representative and legislative organ, the Council of Federation, the State Duma, term, executive and administrative body, the Government of Russia, rather numerous, the courts of different instances, district people’s court, for a term, the majority of the criminal and civil cases, horizontal stripes, to symbolize liberty, two-headed eagle, heraldic emblem, to be elected directly by people.
State a part of speech of the following words.
Direction, economic, cultural, development, dissolve, unconstitutional, representative, chamber, numerous, direction, directly, economic.
Give 3 forms of the following verbs.
To set, to have, to make, to become, to be, to stand.