Авиадвигателестроения Административное право Административное право Беларусии Алгебра Архитектура Безопасность жизнедеятельности Введение в профессию «психолог» Введение в экономику культуры Высшая математика Геология Геоморфология Гидрология и гидрометрии Гидросистемы и гидромашины История Украины Культурология Культурология Логика Маркетинг Машиностроение Медицинская психология Менеджмент Металлы и сварка Методы и средства измерений электрических величин Мировая экономика Начертательная геометрия Основы экономической теории Охрана труда Пожарная тактика Процессы и структуры мышления Профессиональная психология Психология Психология менеджмента Современные фундаментальные и прикладные исследования в приборостроении Социальная психология Социально-философская проблематика Социология Статистика Теоретические основы информатики Теория автоматического регулирования Теория вероятности Транспортное право Туроператор Уголовное право Уголовный процесс Управление современным производством Физика Физические явления Философия Холодильные установки Экология Экономика История экономики Основы экономики Экономика предприятия Экономическая история Экономическая теория Экономический анализ Развитие экономики ЕС Чрезвычайные ситуации ВКонтакте Одноклассники Мой Мир Фейсбук LiveJournal Instagram
B. Write sentences in the way shown
1. Jill didn’t repair the roof herself. She had it repaired.
2. I didn’t cut my hair myself. I ____________________________________________
3. They didn’t paint the house themselves. They ______________________________
4. Sue didn’t make the curtains herself. She __________________________________
5. Jim didn’t repair his car himself. He ______________________________________
6. She didn’t make the dress herself. She ____________________________________
C. Use the words in brackets to complete the sentences. Use the structure ‘have something done’.
1. We are having the house painted (the house/paint) at the moment.
2. I lost my key. I’ll have to __________________________ (another key/make).
3. When was the last time you _________________________ (your hair/cut)?
4. You look different. ___________________________ (your hair/cut)?
5. _________________________ (you/a newspaper/deliver) to your house or do you go to the shop to buy one?
6. – What are those workmen doing in your garden? – Oh, we ________________ (a swimming pool/build).
7. – Can I see the photographs you took when you were on holiday? – I’m afraid I _________________ (not/the film/developed) yet.
8. This coat is dirty. I must ___________________ (it/clean).
9. If you want to wear earrings, why don’t you _______________ (your ears/pierce)?
D. Now you have to use ‘have something’ done with its second meaning.
1. George’s nose was broken in a fight. What happened to George? He had his nose broken in a fight.
2. Sarah’s bag was stolen on a train. What happened to Sarah? She _______________
3. Fred’s hat was blown off in the wind. What happened to Fred? _________________
4. Diane’s passport was taken away from her by the police. What happened to Diane?
5. Jim’s wallet was stolen by a thief. What happened to Jim? ____________________
Exercise 120. Translate into English using the pattern to have smth done.
Example: Я делаю причёску в парикмахерской каждую пятницу. – I have my hair done every Friday.
1. Вам надо отгладить и почистить костюм. 2. Мне надо сфотографироваться. 3. Здесь можно отдать в чистку плащ? 4. Вам не починят кран до понедельника. 5. Где вы шили это платье? 6. У него украли документы в прошлом году. 7. Ей выкрасили кухню в светло-зелёный цвет. 8. Она сшила себе новое пальто. 9. Мне нужно сделать причёску. 10. Здесь вы можете почистить пальто.
It is said that … He is said to …. (be) supposed to …
Ø Study this example situation:
Henry is very old. Nobody knows exactly how old he is, but: It is said that he is 108 years old. or He is said to be 108 years old.
Both these sentences mean: 'People say that he is 108 years old.'
You can use these structures with a number of other verbs, especially: thought believed considered reported known expected alleged understood
Compare the two structures:
Cathy works very hard.
It is said that she works 16 hours a day. or She is said to work 16 hours a day.
The police are looking for a missing boy.
It is believed that the boy is wearing a white pullover and blue jeans. or The boy is believed to be wearing white pullover and blue jeans.
The strike started three weeks ago.
It is expected that it will end soon. or The strike is expected to end soon.
A friend of mine has been arrested.
It is alleged that he kicked a policeman. or He is alleged to have kicked a policeman.
Those two houses belong to the same family.
It is said that there is a secret tunnel between them. or There is said to be a secret tunnel between them.
These structures are often used in news reports. For example, in a report about an accident:
It is reported that two people were injured in the explosion. or Two people are reported to have been injured in the explosion.
Ø (Be) supposed to
Sometimes it is supposed to... = it is said to...:
Let’s go and see that film. It's supposed to be very good. (= it is said to be very good).
Why was he arrested?' 'He's supposed to have kicked a policeman.' (= he is said to have kicked a policeman)
But sometimes supposed to has a different meaning. 'Something is supposed to happen' = it is planned, arranged or expected. Often this is different from what really happens:
I’d better hurry. It's nearly 8 o'clock and I'm supposed to be meeting Ann at 8.15. (= I have arranged to meet Ann, I said I would meet her).
The train was supposed to arrive at 11.30 but it was an hour late. (= the train was expected to arrive at 11.30 according to the timetable)
You were supposed to clean the windows. Why didn't you do it?
You’re not supposed to do something = it is not allowed or advisable to do it
You’re not supposed to park your car here. It's private parking only.
Mr. Bond is much better after his illness but he's still not supposed to do any heavy work. (= his doctors have advised him not to...)
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском:
Лучшие изречения: Как то на паре, один преподаватель сказал, когда лекция заканчивалась - это был конец пары: "Что-то тут концом пахнет". 8653 - | 8196 - или читать все...