Задание 1. Ответьте на вопросы по содержанию текста:
1. The U.K. is an island state, isn’t it? Where is it situated?
2. What countries does the U.K. consist of? What are their capitals?
3. What channel separates the British Isles from the European continent?
4. The surface of the British Isles varies very much, doesn’t it?
5. What is the north of Scotland called?
6. What is the south of Scotland called?
7. Are there a lot of long and deep rivers in Great Britain?
8. Why is the climate of the British Isles mild?
9. Is the U.K. a large country?
10. What is the U.K.’s population?
11. The U.K. is a highly developed industrial country. What does it produce and export?
12. The U.K. is a constitutional monarchy. What does it mean?
13. What are the main political parties in Great Britain?
14. What chambers does the English Parliament consist of?
Задание 2. Закончите предложения логически, найдя окончание в правом столбце. Переведите на русский язык.
|1 The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is situated … 2 Great Britain consists of four countries: … 3 The surface of Great Britain … 4 The north of Scotland is mountainous and … 5 The Severn is … 6 The mountains, the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf Stream … 7 The Queen reigns, but … 8 One of the chief industries of the country …||…varies very much. …influence the climate of the British Isles. …is called the Highlands. …the longest river. …on the British Isles. …is shipbuilding. …does not rule. …England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.|
Задание 3. Составьте общий и специальный вопросы к предложениям. Переведите их на русский язык:
1. There are a lot of rivers in Great Britain. 2. The rivers are long. 3. The mountains are not high in Great Britain. 4. Great Britain is very densely populated. 5. It imports a lot of food-stuffs: meat, butter, tea. 6. Great Britain exports motor-cars, aircraft, electrotechnical apparatus and chemicals. 7. Ship-building and motor industry is highly developed. 8. Sheffield is famous for steel and metal goods. 9. Scotland is situated in the north of the country. 10. The British Parliament consists of two chambers.
Задание 4. Заполните пропуски необходимыми по смыслу словами. Переведите их на русский язык:
1. The British Isles … … two large islands. 2. The United Kingdom consists of four countries: …, …, …, and …. 3. The North Sea, the Strait of Dover and the English Channel … Great Britain from the …. 4. The surface of the British Isles … very much. 5. The south has beautiful … and … and is called …. 6. There are numerous … in Scotland. 7. The north and west of England are …. 8. The climate is … the whole year round. 9. Its … is over 60 million. 10. One of the chief industries of the country is ….