Задание 1. Повторяйте за диктором слова и словосочетания. Запомните их значение:
1. numerous многочисленный
2. firm фирма
3. governmental правительственный
4. association ассоциация
5. to crown короновать
6. crown корона
7. more … than больше, чем
8. king король
9. queen королева
10. the seat of the British Parliament заседание Британского
11. rich (richer, the richest) богатый
12. wealth богатство
Задание 2. Прослушайте текст. Постарайтесь понять его содержание.
London is the capital of Great Britain. Its population is over 10 million. It is one of the oldest and most interesting cities in the world.
Traditionally it is divided into several parts: the City, Westminster, the West End and the East End.
The heart of London is the City, its financial and business center. Numerous banks, offices and firms are situated there.
Westminster is the historic, the governmental part of London. It has more historic associations than any other building in Britain. Nearly all English kings and queens have been crowned here.
Across the road from Westminster Abbey is Westminster Palace, or the Houses of Parliament, the Clock Tower of the Houses of Parliament is famous for its big hour bell, known as «Big Ben».
Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen.
The West End is the richest and most beautiful part of London. It is the symbol of wealth and luxury. The best hotels, shops, restaurants, clubs are situated there.
Trafalgar Square is the geographical center of London.
The East End is the poorest district of London. There are many factories, workshops and docks there. The streets are narrow, the houses are poor. It is a densely populated district where working-class families live.
London is the center of Britain's cultural life. There are many museums and art galleries in London.
Задание 3. Изложите содержание текста на русском языке.
Задание 4. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту:
1. What is the capital of Great Britain?
2. Into what parts is it divided?
3. What is the City?
4. What is Westminster Abbey famous for?
5. What is Buckingham Palace famous for?
6. What part of London is a symbol of wealth and luxury?
7. What is the poorest district of London?
8.Is London the center of Britain’s cultural life?
Задание 5. Вставьте нужные слова вместо пропусков:
1. London is … .
2. It's one of the … and most … cities in the world.
3. Traditionally it is divided into several parts: …, …, … and … .
4. The … of London is the City.
5. Westminster is the …, the … part of London.
6. Buckingham Palace is the official … of the Queen.
7. The West End is the … and the most … part of London.
8. It's the symbol of … and … .
9.The East End is the … district of London.
Задание 6. Перескажите текст на английском языке.