XI. Translate the following sentences:
1. If Anton Leeuwenhock (1632-1723) [iiu:anhuk] had not discovered the specific power (силу) of lenses, he should not have seen the world of microbes.
2. The patient's sclerae were yellow as ifhe had jaundice. 3. The patient must be given vaccination lest he should become infected. 4. Chronic gastritis would not be so dangerous to life if the patient were not so young. 5. It is likely that the symptoms should recur since the process of inflammation has not been controlled yet. 6. It is necessary that the patient be administered a strict diet to control gastric pains.
XII. Pick out the appropriate phrase fo end the sentences:
1. If the human body had no resistance capacity... (a) people would develop any infectious diseases; 6) even direct contacts with infected people would never result in diseases) 2. If a previous attack of a certain infectious disease did not produce a more or less permanent immunity... (a) all of us would be immune (невосприимчивые) to any subsequent attack of this particular infection; 6) people would lack resistance to subsequent infection) 3. If all of us had absolute immunity... (a) antitoxins would not be able to neutralize toxins; 6) no infectious disease would ever develop in the human organism)
XIII. Finish the sentences using Complex Object:
1. In the practical therapy class the students watched ... (а) как сестра делала больным подкожные и внутримышечные инъекции; б) как оперировали больного с закупоркой желчных протоков) 2. The scientists have found... (а) что фагоциты окружают и разрушают бактерии, проникшие в ткани; б) что антитоксины нейтрализуют действие токсинов)
XIV. Pick out the sentences corresponding fo Text A:
1. a) Artificial immunity results from prophylactic vaccination, b) Artificial immunity is due to the formation of specific antitoxins. 2. a) Immunity may vary depending on various conditions, b) Immunity may be present only in certain persons. 3. a) Toxins produce the characteristic symptoms of a particular infectious disease, b) Some microorganisms, like mucobacterium tuberculosis, produce little or no toxin during growth.
XV. 1. Read Text B. 2. Determine the meaning of the words in bold type from the context. 3. Say about what Pasteur spoke in his lecture. 4. What conclusion have you come to having read the text?