To spread over, small fortress, to be named after, on the bank of the river, to occupy the leading place, to produce different goods, all branches of national economy, great Russian scientist, architectural monument, the traffic system, to connect the center with suburbs, historical treasures, world famous pictures, to exhibit, to listen foreign operas, the center of principality, ancient Russ, invader, to be under the yoke
Use English equivalents instead of Russian ones.
1. (Первоначально) it was nothing but a small (крепость).
2. (Основания) in 1147 by (князем) Yuri Dolgoruki Moscow (была названа) after the Moskva river on which it was built.
3. In the 13th century (древняя Русь попала под иго) of Tatar-Mongol invaders.
4. (Во время царствования) of Great Duke Ivan III (иностранное иго) was thrown.
5. Now Moscow is a big (примышленный, культурный, политический) centre.
6. Numerous plants and factories produce (различные товары для населения).
7. There are many (учебных заведений и исследовательских институтов).
8. The Moscow University is (старейшее учебное заведение).
9. We admire its (прекрасными зданиями, дворцами, архитектурными памятниками).
10. The Moscow underground (соединяет) the centre of the city with almost all (районами и пригородами).
11. (Много важных событий) are connected with the name of Moscow.
Answer the following questions.
1. What is the capital of our Motherland?
2. When was it founded?
3. Who is considered to be the founder of Moscow?
4. Is there any monument to Y. Dolgoruki?
5. When was it erected? (1947)
6. What place did Moscow occupy in the history of Russia?
7. Why can you say that Moscow is a large educational and scientific centre?
8. Is Moscow also a great industrial centre?
9. What can you say about the cultural life of the capital?
10. What places of interest are there in Moscow?
Choose the right variant.
1. Moscow was founded in … .
a) 1236; b) 1147; c) 1512.
2. Moscow was under the joke of Tatar Mongol invaders for … .
a) 100 years; b) 500 years; c) 200 years.
3. In the reign of … the foreign yoke was thrown off.
a) Peter the Great; b) Prince Dmitry Pozharsky; c) Grand Duke I van III.
4. Moscow University was founded by Lomonosov in … century.
a) 18; b) 19; c) 17.
5. The Moscow underground connects the centre with … .
a) districts and suburbs; b) foreign countries; c) autonomous republics.
6. In the Bolshoi Theatre we can see … .
a) collection of world famous pictures;
b) the best ballet performances;
c) art treasures.