1. Learn the following words:
- to be aware – осознавать
- to cuddle up – прижиматься
- to bully – задирать, запугивать
- to give heat – делать выговор
- to tempt – соблазнять, привлекать
- to lend dough – одолжить денег
- deprecation – осуждение
- to stall for time – выиграть время
- to shuffle – брести
- to stir – шевелить(ся)
- plaintively – горестно, печально, грустно
- to look mutely at smb – безмолвно смотреть
- assault – приступ
- to pat – похлопать, потрепать
- to be numb – быть в оцепенении
- to slap the face – хлестать по лицу
- to say urgently – сказать с настойчивостью
- stunned whisper – потрясенный шепот
2. Translate and dwell on the sentences:1. Now at least I wasn’t afraid to go home, I wasn’t seared about “acting normal.”2. “Just remember, doctor,” I commanded him, “just remember I want her to have the very best. Private room. Special nurses. Everything. Please. I’ve got the money.”3. I was tempted to tell him how much, merely to let him know it was a class record, but then I thought if he knew where I worked, he probably knew my salary as well.4. “You don’t know about falling off cliffs, Preppie,” she said. “You never fell off one in your goddamn life.” – “Yeah,” I said, recovering the power of speech. “When I met you.”5. And then I did what I had never done in his presence, much less in his arms. I cried.
3. Paraphrase the italicized words using the vocabulary list:
1. When on Earth will you realize that life is not always a holiday?
2. In the storm of jealousy he was nearly out of his mind and nobody could calm him down.
3. They tried to intimidate her but she made up her mind to carry this investigation through.
4. She sighed mournfully when she saw him leaving her flat and life.
5. He knew that at home Mother will keelhaul him and wanted to hide somewhere.
6. He needed some time to think over his life that’s why he was toiling himself along the path in the park.
7. She decided to seduce that guy at any cost though nobody believed she would ever be able to.
8. We don’t have the right to condemn her conduct as we are not saint either.
4. Translate the sentences into English using active vocabulary:
1. Я попросила друга одолжить мне денег, хотя это не в моих правилах.
2. Я больше пальцем не пошевелю ради тебя, мое терпение лопнуло.
3. Он стоял в оцепенении, не в силах поверить услышанному.
4. Капли дождя хлестали его по лицу, но, казалось, он этого совсем не замечал, думая о своем.
5. Она прижалась к плечу мужа, веря, что только он сможет ее защитить.
6. Он надеялся выиграть время, чтобы быть готовым ответить на все вопросы.
7. Она похлопала меня по плечу и улыбнулась, давая понять, что я больше не одна.
8. Она безмолвно смотрела, как медленно догорало то, что еще недавно было ее домом.
9. Она настойчиво повторяла, что видит этого человека впервые в жизни.
10. Она с опозданием осознала, что только что чудом избежала смерти.
5. Put the sentences in the correct order:1. It was very cold, which in a way was good because I was numb and wanted to feel something. 2. I would merely indicate to Jennifer – by the affirmative nodding of my head – that I would be happy to do her any favor whatsoever.3. Jenny just leaned against me, and I secretly wished there would be no taxi, that she would just keep leaning on me.4. I pretended that I had to hurry off the phone because I know he was pained and wanted to say things he couldn’t possibly express.5. It had earlier been foreseen and was now being supervised by Bernard Ackerman, M.D., who was, as Jenny predicted, a good guy, albeit a total Yalie.6. I heard her stop in mid-Prelude, and walked immediately into the living room.7. Honestly, I tried to change my expression, but my facial muscles were frozen.8. And we couldn’t just sit there, both of us willing to talk and yet unable even to look the other straight in the face.
6. Say whether the following sentences are true or false:
7. Answer the following questions:
1. Describe Olli and Jenny’s last day at home.
2. Speak about the news Olli had to tell to Phil.
3. What was Phil’s behaviour after he learnt the truth? What was his way to overcome his grief?
4. Describe the meeting between Olli and his father. Has anything changed in their relations after 3 years of separation?
5. Do you agree that Olli felt guilty as he had stolen Jenny’s “real life”? Explain your viewpoint.
6. Describe the last scene between Olli and Jenny in the hospital.
7. Speak about Olli’s meeting with O.B. III after Jenny’s death.