1. Переведите следующие слова и выражения:
US Courts of Appeal
2. Дополните следующие предложения:
1.… hear civil cases involving larger amounts of money than in minor trial courts.
2.Federal courts are organized in three tiers …
3.The structure of state courts varies …
4.All cases resolved in the … and all decisions of … can be appealed to …
5.The Supreme court has … headed by Chief Justice.
3. Выполните следующий тест:
1. There are major trial courts for …
a) Less serious cases
b) More serious cases
c) Small-claim cases
2. Some states have Justices of the Peace - :
a) Men and women who have never taken bar exams
b) Lawyers of high qualification
c) Senior pupils
3. The states with big or middle-sized population have a
a) Three-tier system
b) One-tier system
c) Two-tier system
4. The only Federal court where trials are held, juries are used, witnesses are called is:
a) The Supreme court
b) The Appellate court
c) The district court
4.Переведите следующий отрывок из текста:
The American court system is complex, mainly because of the federal system of government in the USA. Each state runs its own court system, and no two are identical. In addition, there is a separate system of federal courts, which operates alongside the state courts.
The structure of state courts varies from state to state. Usually there are minor trial courts for less serious cases, major trial courts for more serious cases, intermediate appellate courts and courts of last resort. The state’s minor trial courts have various names: justice courts, small-claim courts, traffic courts, police courts, municipal courts, mayors’ courts. The judges in these courts are usually quite professional, but some states still have Justices of the Peace – men and women who have never gone to law school and never taken the bar exam.
The next level of the pyramid is made up of state’s courts of general jurisdiction, which are the basic trial courts. These courts hear civil cases involving larger amounts of money than in minor trial courts. They also handle cases of serious crime, such as burglary, rape and murder. The judges are always lawyers.
5.Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Why is the American court system complex?
2. What are the main courts in the USA?
3. What are the various names of the state’s minor trial courts?
4. Who works at the state’s minor trial courts?